Subject Leader: Mrs Holt
At Panshanger Primary School we follow the National Curriculum Programmes of study for English, and it is our aim that in English our pupils can:
- read fluently and with good understanding
- develop the enjoyment of reading for both pleasure and information
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
- are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.
Our phonics teaching follows Anima Phonics https://www.animaphonics.com/
The children begin their phonic teaching in Nursery and undertake the phonics screening test in Year 1.
To find out what the pupils will be covering each year, please click on the relevant documents.
More information can be found in the class pages and the termly curriculum overviews