Subject Leaders: Mrs Claridge and Mrs Littleford
More information can be found in the class pages and the termly curriculum overviews
We are delighted to announce that we, Panshanger Primary School, have achieved the School Games Gold Mark Award for the 2022/23 academic year.
The School Games Mark is a Government-led award scheme launched in 2012, facilitated by the Youth Sport Trust to reward schools for their commitment to the development of competition across their school and into the community, and we are delighted to have been recognised for our success.
We look forward to applying once again in 2024!
At Panshanger Primary School we follow the National Curriculum Programmes of study for Physical Education, and it is our aim that in PE our pupils:
- will develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- are physically active for sustained periods of time
engage in competitive sports and activities
- lead healthy, active lives.
In key Stage 1 children will be taught to:
- master basic movements including running, jumping, throwing and catching, as well as developing balance, agility and co-ordination, and begin to apply these in a range of activities
- participate in team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending
- perform dances using simple movement patterns.
These skills will be achieved through a range of sports including gymnastics / athletics / racket games etc.
In key Stage 2 children will be taught to:
- use running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination
- play competitive games and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defending
- develop flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance
- perform dances using a range of movement patterns
- take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges, both individually and within a team
- compare their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best.
These skills will be achieved through a range of sports e.g. basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rugby, lacrosse, rounders and tennis, athletics and gymnastics.
All children at Panshanger make use of the school swimming pool during the summer months where they can develop and extend their water confidence and stroke skills.
During their lessons children are encouraged to recognise the physical differences in their bodies following physical activity and to become aware of the importance of maintaining a healthy fit body in later life.